Check Your Eligibility

Complete this form and find out.


Avar Will Contact You

Our Team will telephone you on the telephone number provided.


Pay Online

Only if eligible, make a payment of £12 (including Vat) for this year only, online.


Remote Assistance

Avar will assist remotely to complete the claim form.

Complete the 4 easy steps above and wait for your refund!

1What is Marriage Allowance?
  • This is a tax allowance that came into effect on 6 April 2015.
  • It allows an individual to transfer 10% of the personal allowance to their spouse or civil partner.
  • If your claim is successful, it will lower the higher earner's tax bill for the tax year, but you can also backdate your claim if eligible.
2Who can Claim Marriage Allowance?

You can claim the allowance if the following conditions are met:

  • You are married or in a civil partnership.
  • One of you need to be earning less than the personal allowance (£12,570 for tax year 2021/22).
  • The other partner needs to be a basic rate taxpayer, earning less than £50,270.
  • You both must have been born on or after 6 April 1935.
  • You cannot claim both Marriage Allowance and Married Couple’s Allowance at the same time.
3How is Marriage Allowance Calculated?
4How do I Apply for Marriage Allowance?
  • Complete the form.
  • A member of the Avar Team will telephone you to discuss further.
  • The claim form can be completed online via screen share meeting.
  • Only the lower earner or non-taxpayer must apply.
  • You DO NOT have to apply every year.

Once you've applied, you (or your partner) will get the extra allowance either:

  • Changing the higher earner's tax code, which can take up to two months
  • When they file their self-assessment tax return

What are Avar’s Fees?

  • Checking your eligibility with us is Free of Charge.
  • Our Fee is £10 + VAT for this YEAR ONLY.
  • Our service is free of charge for enquiries.
  • We will send you a remote login to our systems and an agent will assist you in completing the form online.
  • We cannot guarantee that you will be entitled to a tax refund. All information provided by you is deemed to be correct and accurate.

What if our circumstances change?

  • You must notify HMRC of any change in your circumstances that could affect your entitlement to marriage allowance.
  • You can cancel Marriage Allowance online. You’ll be asked to prove your identity using information HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) holds about you.
  • If you stop transferring the allowance to your partner, it will run until the end of the tax year (5 April).

What if the higher earner becomes the lower earner?

  • A new application will need to be made as this is effectively a change in circumstance.

How far back can we make a claim?

  • You can make an application for a backdated claim for up to four years.
  • You can only make a backdated claim from the tax year you were married or registered in a civil partnership.